TQ2677 : Lots Road Power Station – boiler firing aisle

This power station supplied power to the London Underground and also had remote control over the gas turbine sets at Greenwich. It was originally built in 1904 but when we visited it had later boilers and turbines dating from the 1960s. The water tube boilers were latterly fuelled with gas with oil back-up. Six boilers supplied six 30 MW turbines. The plant was finally decommissioned in 2002 and is being converted to housing.