TQ2677 : Lots Road Power Station – steam turbine

This power station was then supplying a considerable amount of power to the London underground railway system. The power station was originally built between 1902 and 1905 and had four chimneys, later reduced to two. The plant that we saw in 1994 dated from a reconstruction from 1963 to 1969. This new plant consisted of six boilers and six turboalternators of 22-30 MW. The station closed in 2001 (some sources say 2002) after 96 years of service. This shows part of one of the steam turbines. The governor and auxiliaries drives are to the left and the centre of the view shows the single flow high pressure cylinder and its lagging. The two pipes covered with blued steel on the right lead to the double flow low pressure turbine. The alternator is out of sight to the right.