TQ4677 : Stag-headed oak in Plumstead Cemetery

by

The site now occupied by Plumstead Cemetery was formerly parkland that was laid out during the 17th century. The land was owned by Old Park Farm in 1845. Plumstead Cemetery was opened by Woolwich Burial Board in 1890. It occupies a prominent hillside and is backed to the north by Bostall Woods. The chapel is in French ‘flamboyant’ style.

This is a stag-headed oak. The old branches of an oak, which formed the original high crown die off, but on species such as oak and sweet chestnut, both of which have very durable wood, these dead branches remain for decades, even centuries. This is what gives the tree its stag-headed appearance.