SU5794 : High Street, Dorchester on Thames

It is hard to believe now that this Oxfordshire village was, for a few years, the de facto capital of Wessex after a new Diocese of Dorchester was created in the 7th century. The bishopric was, however, later moved to Winchester. In this view the toll house on the right dates from 1815 when it was built to collect tolls from coaches for crossing the river bridge. It has since had various uses including a sweet shop and an architect’s studio. It is grade II listed. Further along is the Fleur de Lys pub parts of which date from the 16th century.