TQ1168 : Houses on Sunbury Court Island


Sunbury Court Island has 35 private dwellings. It is reached by a footbridge from the Middlesex side and is named after the large mansion house which overlooks it. Sunbury Court was built in 1723 by John Witt. Subsequent residents included George Fermor, 2nd Earl of Pomfret, and Jack Needham, the Lord Kilmorey. In 1921 it was purchased by the Salvation Army who turned it into a conference centre and it was here their first Army High Council was held in 1929. Today it is a Grade 1 listed building, still owned by the Salvation Army and it is where they elect their General each year.