TQ1878 : London Museum of Water and Steam – original electric pump


This is the electric pump house that was converted from a steam pump house in 1944. This is the original No. 1 horizontal axis centrifugal pump that was built by Hathorn, Davey & Co of Leeds and was one of six in this room. It was retired in 1986 when a new pumping station was built nearby. That too has now been retired and replaced with pumps in a shaft associated with London’s ring main. The electric house is now a new Museum gallery illustrating the use of electricity in waterworks.