TQ0271 : Egham Causeway

by

The elevated pavement is what is left of an old causeway which leads from The Hythe at Staines to The Glantly at Egham. It was built in the 13th century in the reign of Henry III (1216 – 1272) by a merchant named Thomas de Oxenford. This was for the safe conveyance of his wool and other merchandise to and from London markets. The causeway supported a road above the Egham flood-plain and also acted as a dyke to protect the surrounding area from flooding. Some sources also credit de Oxenford for building a bridge over the River Thames from Staines to Egham Hythe in the early 13th century.